TOEFL and Free TOEFL Practice Tests
TOEFL Test, exam or certification stands for Test Of English as a Foreign Language
Why take the TOEFL test?
Students and learners of English whose native language in not English are required to study or take the TOEFL examinations to go to colleges or universities overseas or abroad and particularly in the USA. TOEFL can also be taken by non native speakers who want to get a scholarship or a job promotion in their own countries.
Where to start before taking the TOEFL test?
Check your English level before the exam. Students or learners need to make sure that their English level is good enough to take the free TOEFL practice tests or set for the actual exam. They need to understand this:
- You can test or check your English level at
- Cambridge English
- ils English Language Training
- English Exam
- Your English level needs to be at least pre-intermediat to intermediate.
What to do next?
- If your level is good enough to take the TOEFL then you can go to the next step.
- You can start by downloading a free TOEFL guide from Slide Share
- TOEFL which include free toefl practice tests are not easy and contain 400 pages and need a lot of practice.
- Free TOEFL practice tests can be found at English Exam
- For TOEFL grammar practice tests sample you go to about English as a Second Language.
- For TOEFL vocabulary practice test sample click here
- Remember that practice makes perfect so you need to try as many free TOEFL practice tests as you can.
How to study for TOEFL?
Which TOEFL you want to take the (offline or paper based test PBT) or the (online or internet based test iBT)?
Which ever TOEFL test you choose it is necessary to practice all sections before taking the actual real exam. It is also necessary to prepare for the free toefl practice tests.
Lets highlight TOEFL iBT:
It consists of :
To do well on all sections you need to practice as many sample practice TOEFL tests as you can. So now that you have the free materials from Slide Share and the free practice tests above you can start doing as many exams as can.
How to study for the TOEFL test:
- Make time to study and practice the free Toefl tests as it can get costly if you choose to pay for the Toefl practice tests.
- Start with sections that you feel comfortable with
- For example, you are happy with listening
- Keep practicing the listening section that you like until you master them
- Then move to the sections you have some difficulties and find your weak areas
- For example, you are weak in the writing section then you need to write a lot more and do not be afraid to make mistakes. write easy essays at first and then go up slowly. Do not rush or pressure your self. Keep writing and take the free toefl practice tests.
- First do the sections individually and separate then move on to do two sections and three at a time. After that, you can do the whole test at once
- Time your self each time you take a free toefl practice test or exam and try to do it faster every time because time is very limited during the exam.
If your level is not good enough to take the TOEFL test then you need to do this:
- Find a good grammar book as it is essential.
- An example of a good grammar book is Essentials Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy. Can be found with many other English grammar books on Slide Share just type in the name of the book.
- Read in English like, magazines, books, stories, newspapers, academic text books, poems, and what ever you like to read but make sure to read it in English.
- For example Headway books series, interchange series or any books similar to these. Can be found on Slide Share for a free copy.
- Speak in English with people around you like, your brothers, sisters, friends, family, coworkers, roommates, housemate, classmate, girlfriend, boyfriend, pen pal, colleague, chat room in English, voice chat, or anyway you find it comfortable for you but in English only
- Record your voice as you speak in English and then repeat it a few times to listen to your mistakes. You can use your smart phone for this.
- Start from easy and do not be afraid to make mistakes then move up to the harder levels but step by step.
- Finally, keep practicing the free toefl practice tests to get a better mark on the actual exam. The more the merrier.