How to find an ESL teaching job abroad or overseas?
You need to do a thorough research or search in depth.
- Search the internet for ESL teaching jobs abroad via search engines.
- Search the newspapers and offline for teaching jobs.
- Make sure you check many ESL and teaching jobs abroad websites and try the forums and blogs.
- Get some information on the school, company or university.
- Check with the existing teachers in that school or work place you are interested in.
- Find out as much information as you can about your school. For example, how many teachers work there and how long has this school been established.
- Get some photos of your housing, furniture and office.
- Check the medical or health insurance they offer.
- Negotiate your salary and don’t settle for less.
In addition to the points mentioned above, there a few more things on how to find an ESL teaching job abroad or overseas by following the steps below:
1- Your resume (CV) format
Make sure you have the proper resume format, like if you are going to teach you need to focus on teaching experience, if you are an engineer you need to concentrate on the that, and so on. You can find examples of many resumes and you can also post your own resume here free. There are many ways to write a resume. Check out our sample resume format. Your resume can have different formats, but make sure it has all the information needed and be very clear. Remember if you are applying for an overseas job it is recommended that you follow our sample format for better results in your job search.
2- Your Cover letter (self introduction) or Job Application Letter
You need to write an introduction letter about your self and the experience you have related to the job you are applying for. For some companies they require a job application letter or a form to be filled out. For some samples and examples of cover letter please visit the resume forum
3- The job offer format
After they accept your resume, then you will get a job interview, then you will be sent job offer by email, after that, you need to make sure that it is clear and meets the standard for that country. Here you can see a sample job offer for ESL jobs in South Korea. This ESL sample job offer is an average and standard and most schools or companies follow that sample format offer.
4- The contract format
After reviewing the job offer make sure you contact and research the company and the staff (normally it will be given to you). If they do not provide you with the website for the company and the city that you will be working in, it is recommended that you do so. After doing so you need to carefully read the contract and understand it very well (some times you can request changes if you would like that). Here you can find a sample job contract for ESL jobs in South Korea. This is a standard contract for most schools and companies. If you need more information about finding a job you can visit the job board.
How to find an ESL teaching job abroad or overseas can be time consuming but it is worth a while. It’s better than teaching somewhere you aren’t happy with. After all, you are there for a good experience.